Monday, May 18, 2020

Fan Into Flame The Gift of God (part 2)


The Promise

Today's Reading:
John 14:15-17 (The Message)

“If you love me, show it by doing what I’ve told you. I will talk to the Father, and he’ll provide you another Friend so that you will always have someone with you. This Friend is the Spirit of Truth. The godless world can’t take him in because it doesn’t have eyes to see him, doesn’t know what to look for. But you know him already because he has been staying with you, and will even be in you!

Prayer in Song: (VU#371)
'With this beautiful hymn,  you can use it as a prayer.  Look over the words and let them lead you in opening your mind and heart to hear what the scripture for today is telling you.  If you know the tune, sing this prayerfully and take time to silently wait for God to speak His wonderful truths into your life.'

(Lord) Open my eyes, that I may see
glimpses of truth thou hast for me;
place in my hands the wonderful key
that shall unclasp and set me free.
Silently now I wait for thee,
ready, my God, thy will to see.
Open my eyes, illumine me, Spirit divine!

Background:
Now go back and read today's scripture again. This is Jesus speaking to His followers. It is a promise given to them and to us who believe, that a gift from God is coming.  In these chapters of John's gospel, Jesus is telling his disciples that he will be leaving them (returning to heaven) and when there He will ask the Father to send another of the Trinity (the Holy Spirit) that will live in them.   This "friend" is also known as the Spirit of Truth.  This is the PROMISE, the GIFT OF GOD. 

My thoughts:
1.   This promise is the ever-present Spirit of God. (you will always have Someone with you.)
2.   This promise is the ever-present Revealer of God's Truth.  (the Spirit of Truth)
3.   This promise is the ever-present Reality of Jesus within us. (He will be within you)

Application:
Remember our year's theme? Seeing God with 2020 vision.  Coming up is Pentecost Sunday, when we are once again reminded about "the gift of God" that Paul spoke to Timothy about in 2 Timothy 1:6.    Paul told Him to fan into flame this gift that lives within him.  This gift is God's way to help us see God more clearly.

So what about us?  Do we need the Holy Spirit?  With so much information coming at us, can we find one source of absolute Truth?  The answer is a resounding YES.  The Spirit of Truth is a promise given by Jesus.  It came to life on the day of Pentecost for those disciples of Jesus.  Over a couple of thousand years the church has survived because  this promise has come true to live within faithful believers in Christ.  

Prayer
Dear Lord Jesus, I have chosen to accept you as my Saviour and my Lord.  I confess that there are times when I am spiritually confused and admit that I have doubts.  Forgive me for not believing in all of your promises.  
Silently now I wait for Thee, ready my God, Thy will to see. Open my eyes, illumine me, Spirit Divine.  
I accept your gift!  Help me to fan it into flame.  In Jesus' name, Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment