Thursday, March 19, 2020

Seeing God with 2020 Vision

Matthew 14:25-31 (NIV)
25 Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.
27 But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”

 28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” 29 “Come,” he said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”

31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”

This has got to be one of my favourite stories about the Lord.  The reason it means so much to me is that I can very easily replace Peter with myself.  Try it for yourself.

Lessons I've learned and offer to you.

1.  Jesus walking on the top of the water is a miracle. Something I cannot do unless the lake is frozen.

2.  Jesus invites Peter into the miracle.  Despite his surroundings, the lake, the wind, the waves..... drowning.  Peter obeys the Lord and steps out of the boat in faith in the One who is greater than all there is to fear.   Peter made a choice to step out in faith.  I too have a choice to make when the Lord calls me to come to him, especially when my focus is on my surroundings.

3.  Peter takes his eyes off Jesus and begins to sink.   There is a message Jesus is making and it comes in Peter's cry, "Lord, save me!"   And Jesus immediately reaches out to Peter and pulls him up onto the water with Him.  O what a peaceful moment for Peter, safe in the arms of Jesus.   Perhaps you are like me and Peter, when situations arise, we tend to take our eyes off the Lord and back onto what we fear.

4. And one more thing.  One of the 12 got out of the boat. The other 11? Likely still fearful but watching as Peter steps out into deep water.  When Jesus invites us to come to Him, be assured others are watching.  Like Peter, the Lord uses us, His followers, to inspire others to also trust Jesus.

5.  Take a moment and ask yourself, are you in a state of fear as you look at your surroundings. Do you find yourself sinking.  

6.  So Like Peter in our story:  Refocus.  Cry out to Him and He will lift you up.   My thoughts from these lessons go to this little song we sometimes sing, "TURN YOUR EYES UPON JESUS".

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace

No comments:

Post a Comment