Saturday, April 18, 2020

PRAY
APRIL 19, 2020
 
The sign out front of our church simply states, PRAY.  Then…. My name is written below.  I don’t believe the sole intention of the sign is to be a reminder for me to pray or that I’m the only one that needs to pray.  But it made me think about my own prayer life.  In light of our current state of isolation and social distancing as the Covid-19 virus rages on, I am challenged by that one word, “PRAY”.


Maybe today, you feel the same as I do about prayer.  If we are honest, we might ask, why pray? or ‘does God care? Or will God do anything about our situation or is He even able to do anything?  Or maybe we excuse ourselves from praying because we feel inadequate or don’t know what or how to pray. Or maybe we ask, does God even need us to pray?

As much as I want to pray for so many others who are hurting, grieving or weary and discouraged, I believe I must first pray for myself so I am strong in my faith.
So I thought of some biblical answers to help me see how important it is to pray.  May they also encourage you. 

Today’s question.  Is there power in prayer? 
As I think of my praying, I suggest that there is very little power in my prayers if I don’t know who I am praying to – but  when I spend time getting to know God and be in His presence and His will, I soon realize that my prayer needs to be fully dependent upon God.  Jesus demonstrated this in Gethsemane, by surrendering himself to the Father by saying, ..."not my will but Thine be done."  

Therefore I pray,  “God I believe that you hear me in my weakness and that I can trust you because I believe you are greater and more powerful than anything I face.  Thank you that Easter is a reminder of your power that raised Jesus, Your Son, from death to life.  Raise me up Lord from when I find myself weary and discouraged, that I may be empowered by your spirit to live strong despite this troubled world; and that you would use me to be an encouragement for others to know the power of prayer.  In strong name of Jesus, I pray.  Amen.

From Crosswalk.com -A prayer taken from Psalm 91 (Read the whole Psalm)
Lord, I find shelter and strength in Your Word. While the others may stumble around me, You protect me from the snares of this world. You send Your mighty angels to keep me from falling into the abyss, Your commandments shine a path for me to follow. What a merciful God You are—walking beside me when I’m discouraged, and carrying me when I feel defeated! I praise Your Holy Name! Amen.

So let us PRAY!

Blessings from God's Word

Romans 15:13      
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Ephesians 6:10
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.

No comments:

Post a Comment